Finding the joy in OUR journey

Another cRraAzY Schwab Adventure

Sunday morning as I'm stepping into the closet to get dressed for church, Travis tells me he has an idea. Very perplexed, I walk over and sit down next to him on the bed. "Let's go camping," he says. Camping? Camping? Doesn't this require tents & sleeping bags & cooking food on a fire? We have been married for 12 years and NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER have we been camping!! I have way too much of my dad in me to enjoy camping...My idea of camping is our annual Schwab family trip to Colter Bay where we stay in a cabin with running water, a flushing toilet, a shower, a refridgerator, a stove and even a washer and dryer. He wants to go camping?! Holy Cow, what has gotten into him; first a dog and now camping? Needless to say I sat there a little confused for a moment and then decided to humor him while he went and checked the weather for the nearby areas, to my delight is was supposed to be raining all over Southeastern Idaho. We finished getting ready and headed off to church. In the middle of Sacrament meeting Travis leans over to me and tells me that perhaps we should postpone our little camping adventure beacause of the rain. After all, this would be our first camping trip and we didn't want to start off with a bad experience. Whew, was I relieved! Well, unfortunately when we got home from church we had no power. This was perfect for Travis, afterall, you don't have any power while your camping either so he decided we should just head out and go camping! We quickly gathered what little stuff we had, and headed down the road!












After a not-so-quick stop at Walmart, and completely unloading and then reloading the car we where off, heading south for Downata Hotsprings...












And straight for this! (I guess that's what we get for breaking the sabbath!)









As I watched the lightening shoot across the sky numerous times, I kept hoping that maybe Travis would change his mind, or at least give in and just get us a hotel for the night--I wasn't so lucky. Lexie was a little nervous herself and suggested we say a prayer that the rain would stop. The terrible parents that we are, we were both a little too sceptical so we told her to go ahead, and wouldn't ya know it, as we pulled into the camp ground it stopped raining...Lesson for the day: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A CHILD!! We were given just enough time to unload the car and set up our monsterous tent before the heavens opened and the rain returned, this time there was no break; it rained ALL night!!














We kicked off Memorial day with some french toast cooked up by Travis,













And topped them off with some 'smores.
















Next, we headed over to the pool, where the kids and Travis enjoyed the water slides and splashing around in the pool












Of course it wouldn't be "Memorial Day" without paying tribute to those loved ones who have passed on, so on our way home we stopped at a couple cemetaries and visited the graves of some of our family members.











Oddly enough we had a great time, rain and everything. I'm not sure how soon it will be before we go camping again, but Travis assures me that we have just found a new family hobby--I guess we'll see!!

3 comments:

Christina White said...

Awesome weekend! YOu even took your dog! So brave! Looks like a real adventure! Camping in the rain! Did anyone even sleep?

Schwab Family said...

I am so impressed!Travis needs to rub off on Scott.You guys have so much fun!I think camping is a fabulous idea!We should do it this summer!I love the spontanuity of it all. I love it!!!

Steve and Jen said...

So...you went camping! I think Norm just deeply hides his desire to go camping! Really...camping outside of humidity is SOO much better! And see, you had fun! With the rain, bugs and probably very little sleep, these are GREAT memories - RIGHT?
Next time you go, you should invite Norm, and us :-)